Welcome to the blog!
Hello and welcome to my latest new blog: to support you through the implementation of the new curriculum change in your geography teaching and to share curriculum ideas from other influential geographers and educationalists.
See my profile in the right hand column for details on the other blogs that I write and maintain.
One of my roles, alongside my teaching of KS3 geography at King's Ely school, is as Vice President of the Royal Geographical Society - it's a great privilege to have this role.
I serve on the RGS's Council: its governing body, and the Society responded to all the stages of the Curriculum and Assessment Review (CAR) and will continue to support teachers through the next stages of the curriculum review.
Check the RGS Schools page for all the resources and other support that we provide.
The Education Committee which I chair has a wonderful mix of experience and understanding of education in different phases - from Primary to Secondary, Higher Education and Teacher Education.
Alan Parkinson (Chair, Vice President: Education)Dr Simon Oakes (Councillor)
Peter Price (Member)
Richard Bustin (Co-opted)
Chantal Mayo-Hollaway (Co-opted)
Sophie Wilson (Co-opted)
Simon Holland (Co-opted)
India Owens (Co-opted)
Ex-officio representatives from Ordnance Survey, Field Studies Council, Esri UK, The Geological Society and Geographical Association.
I've also connected with colleagues at the Geographical Association. Steve Brace, CEO of the GA was the Lead Curriculum Drafter for the revised curriculum.
I worked for the GA as Secondary Curriculum Development Leader during the Action Plan for Geography which ran from 2006-2011. This supported the development of new resources and thinking which continue to shape geography teaching today.
During this period, Margaret Roberts' geographical enquiry focus developed, the idea of curriculum making emerged, and the GA produced their manifesto for geography: "a different view".
All of this experience, plus 35 years in the classroom will hopefully help me help colleagues navigate this new change, and suggest where to go for help resourcing any unfamiliar topics as well as sharing some of the resources I've created myself over the years.
This is due in the Autumn term, or will it be 2027 that we have to wait until?
The RGS and GA will also be helping colleagues through the changes, as will publishers, subscription websites and other resource providers.
Caveat: I teach in an independent school and won't need to follow the new national curriculum. There were some suggestions in the response to an earlier consultation that Provisions in the Children’s Wellbeing and Schools Act 2026 would ensure that all academies and free schools follow the new national curriculum.
.png)
Comments
Post a Comment